Weymouth & Portland Olympic Events
Weymouth and Portland Olympic events have offered a truly spectacular experience for many new visitors to the area, and have been a great opportunity for these coastal towns to showcase their harbours and beaches. There has been a fantastic schedule of events as spectators flock to the area to watch Olympic Sailing classes.
Weymouth Olympic Events 2012
The following Weymouth and Portland Olympic events have and will form the highlight of the London 2012 programme for the area:
- Olympic Sailing – from 28 July until 11 August, Weymouth hosts ten different sailing classes for men, women and open crews. Each event comprises a series of races, as competitors use strength and skill to make it to the finish line. Points are scored depending on position, with first place winners receiving one point and second place receiving two points. Our congratulations to British medallists, Ben Ainslee for getting Gold, and Ian Percy, Andrew Simpson and Nick Dempsey for their silver medals
- Weymouth and Portland Live – throughout the Olympics, the Weymouth and Portland Live events showcase a number of performers, activities, food and drinks stalls and other things to do for visitors. The Live Site is free and is situated on Weymouth Beach alongside a Sports Arena that is also open to the public.
- Maritime Mix - London 2012 Cultural Olympiad by the Sea – the Maritime Mix events have been running from March, to continue until September. Blending culture, sporting, entertainment and other festivities, over 50 unique events are held over the course of the event series.
- The Weymouth Bayside Festival – unfortunately closed but provided a daily schedule of entertainment, adventure activities, children’s programmes and more with affordable ticket prices. Highlights include RYA's Olympic Sailing exhibit, Bayside Excursions on MV Balmoral – still running, Natural England's Jurassic Coast Display, Royal Marines Climbing Wall and the Team Extreme Skate Park.
- Paralympic Sailing – from 31 August until 5 September, Paralympic Sailing events will be held in Weymouth over nine separate runs. Races are completed over a course that includes upwind and downwind legs. The winner is the competitor with the least amount of points at the end of the race.
Host an Event with Weymouth Catering Hire
Whether you are organising a large public event or even a smaller private function, Allens provides a bespoke range of catering equipment for hire. Products comprise a variety of categories, ensuring that every final detail required for a memorable event. Glassware, seating, tables, crockery, cutlery, linens, bar equipment and many other items are currently available through our premium Weymouth catering equipment hire.